Hey there wonderful!
I hope your holidays were merry, bright, and migraine free! Unfortunately, I know that was the case for everyone...
This weekend I heard from five (five!!!) different people that they had been struck by a nasty migraine over the holidays.
Now if you've ever had a migraine, then you know just how terrible they are. Everything from visual fuzziness and temporary blindness to nausea, vomiting, and pain that makes you woozy beyond belief.
I've been there too, and I know just how bad it can feel. As my sister so delicately put it in a text to me Saturday morning, "I thought I was dying."
Today I am going to share with you the most common migraine triggers out there--so you can stop the problem before it starts.
One of the trickiest things about migraines is that they can seem to come out of nowhere, and happen for no particular reason. I want you to know however, that isn't that case.
Migraines are almost always triggered by something in particular.
Here are the most common triggers:
- Stress: heavy amounts of stress, chronic stress, and a sudden increase--or decrease--in stress can trigger migraines.
- Not enough sleep: Yet another reason to get your 7-8 hours of peaceful sleep! Migraine sufferers frequently report the sleep disturbances are linked with sudden migraines.
- Food Additives: MSG, nitrates, and aspartame are terrible for a number of reasons, and triggering migraines is just one of them. MSG hides in everything from hot sauce to crackers, so definitely get into the habit of reading labels!
- Dehydration: Get this: up to 75% of American adults are dehydrated. That whole 8 cups of water a day recommendation? That is nowhere near enough water for most people! And the vast majority of Americans out there aren't even drinking that much. Chronic dehydration is a recipe for disaster--and migraines.
- High levels of caffeine: Think you can't live without your daily venti coffee? Well, darling, think again. There is 415mg of caffeine in a Starbucks venti coffee. That is, simply put, way too much.
- Strong Smells: Cigarette smoke, gasoline, paint fumes, perfume, household cleaners, and incense can all trigger migraines.
- Alcohol: A recent study found that nearly 1/3 of chronic migraine sufferers reported alcohol as a consistent trigger of migraines. In particular, for women red wine was the primary culprit!
- Food Sensitivity: Most migraine sufferers have particular food sensitivities which trigger migraines. This is one of the reasons it is so important to respect your food sensitivities!
- Hormones: Women are 3 times more likely than men to suffer from migraines. The reason behind this? Imbalanced female sex hormones (estrogen and progesterone) can lead to frequent migraines, especially right around menstruation. The good news is that hormones can be balanced holistically, and you can say goodbye to your migraines for good!
What do all of these triggers have in common?
They all cause your body to fall out of balance, they all cause oxidative stress, and they all have the potential to be partially or completely resolved by resetting your body and elevating your health to a higher level.
In other words: migraines are preventable. I know this from research andexperience.
If you need help managing your migraines, and getting down to the root of what is causing them, reach out.
It's time to stop living with the constant, nagging fear of migraines in the back of your mind.
It's your time to feel amazing.
Lots of love, always,